Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Sandwiched Man

Do you belong to a family where your grandma and mum do not get along, where your dad constantly avoid getting involve in the conflicts between the two women? I do. There is nothing new about my story, just a typical problem between the mother- in- laws and their daughter- in- law, but one that I wished never had existed in my family.

Ever since I was young, I was aware of the tension between my mother and my grandmother, built up long before I was born. It all started after my parents were married, when my father made my mother promise that she will not ill-treat my grandmother. I guessed my father’s intention for doing so was to prevent any conflict in the family. I had to be honest, my mother was not perfect, as do no one was, but I would say that my grandmother was much worse.

Even without taking what I heard of the past, from my mother regarding my grandmother’s actions, into account, I would still say that things were very unfair for my mother.

Living in a period where women were getting jobs to help their husbands cope with the high standard of living, my mother faced the challenge of juggling her roles as a homemaker and a career woman. Having to leave for work at eight in the morning and only coming back at seven did not excuse her from the many household chores that she was expected to do. You might ask why it was expected of my mother to complete the household. Well, it was expected by my grandmother’s standard. My grandmother who had a traditional mindset believed that the only responsibilities of a woman were to look after their husband and keep the house clean. Hence, on top of the stress she faced from work, my mother was constantly under the pressure of performing her task at hundred percent of perfection. It did not help when my grandmother criticized my mother in front of relatives (trust me, her words can be pretty ugly) and her lack of discretion often left my mother fuming with anger.

For the past thirty years, because of the promise my mother made to my father, she never confronted my grandmother. She, did however, complained to my father about all the things that my grandmother said and did to her. My father, being a guy who disliked disagreements and confrontation, kept quiet all these years. This issue no doubt strained their relationship. It also built a lot of bitterness in my mother making her grumpy, short- tempered and constantly obsessed with doing things to perfection to avoid any sarcastic remarks from my grandmother.

At this point of time, it is no longer possible to ask my mother to talk to my grandmother to solve the issue between them without my mother lashing out at her. What should my father have done to improve the situation or is doing nothing the best thing to do?

7 comments:

  1. Hey Lin Hui,

    We live in an era where cost of living is through the roof it is inevitable that both parties in the household have to work. It is highly possible that I might end up in the same situation as your dad.

    Being caught between the two women that he loves most, it is very hard to do something to resolve the issue.

    However there is a win win situation here and that is to "exploit" their daughter that is you.(Pls don't hate me for this) This tight little conflict can be resolved by delegating the household chores to every member of the family and this is something that your dad can discuss with your mum. By doing something like that it shows your mum that all of you in the family is concerned for her(which makes mum very happy) and at the same time the chores are done(which makes grandma very happy)

    This will not only give your mum more time to breathe but also time to show some care and concern for your grandma to alleviate the problem. Your dad here can put in a few good words and hopefully get your mum into your grandma's good books. Ultimately both women needs attention care and concern.

    With gender roles now fading I believe everyone in the household can help out with the chores. Perhaps you can initiate the change by volunteering to take up more household chores for your mum. If that doesn't affect your CAP that is.

    Cheers
    See Chai

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like See Chai's idea of sharing the household responsibilities. I would suggest that too. However, I acknowledge that this merely scratches the surface and does not fix the root cause. If grandma finds out who had been the one(s) doing the chores, things would get uglier. It would make mum look even more incapable of being her ideal daughter-in-law.

    Maybe you could be the buffer? I know the question is what should your father do, but I think what he could do is limited. No matter which woman he speak with (about this problem), he would probably unleash hell.
    1. To your mother, he could seem too filial and cannot understand how bitter she feels. Not good for couples.
    2. To your grandmother, she is probably afraid of 'losing' her son to another woman. The more good words he says may just make her even angrier with your mother.

    So this is where I think you could step into the picture and be the middle man. You (or siblings?) are directly, closely related to all persons in this conflict, yet is not part of the conflict. Subtly, put in a few good words here and there to both ladies, and then try to get them to speak directly later on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lin Hui,

    Well I had the same situation in my family too. I wonder why women keep doing these things to each other. It seems like the cycle never ends.

    I agree with Iris that in this situation, your dad really cannot do much. Maybe your dad could treat your mum extra special to show his appreciation to her? It might sooth her a little.

    With that said, I doubt that your interference would do much too. They might either ask you to mind your own business since you are young or blame each other for putting you up for it. It could ruin your relationship with them too. Although it is tough, try not to let this situation affect you personally for your own sanity. Be a support for them if they need it but try hard not to get emotionally involved.

    However, if you do feel that you need to stand up for either one of them when the situation calls for it, I guess you should just follow your heart. Sometimes the truth might hurt but it is necessary. You might regret withholding your feelings later on. This is a tough situation. Hope what I said makes sense.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lin Hui,

    I do understand that in this day and age, women do need to supplement the household income. I too come from a dual income family, I think most of us do. And my mum works long hours too. I think one way that your family could alleviate the stress of working outside and doing housework after work would be delegate chores as See Chai mentioned. Another alternative would be to hire a maid if everyone in the family is very busy. That way, your mum could rest after a long day's work.

    On the other hand, I feel that you or your dad could be the go-between in this situation. You might want to consider talking to both your mum and grandma to find out both sides of the story and try to bridge their differences. Also, your dad may want to talk to your grandmother about not being so vocal infront of relatives especially as it would affect your mother's image and standing with them too.

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys!

    I agree to what you guys suggested and I did in fact help my mother with the household chores as much as I can. However, I think that the root of the problem is not whether anyone helps her to finish her chores but whether we, especially my dad, show appreciation towards what she have done for us. My dad is not a guy who expressed his emotions by words or by actions. This can be rather hard on my mother when all she needs, in such a situation, is an action or even just a simple 'thank you' to show that she is appreciated for all that she is going through, instead of the promise that she made years ago.


    Also, bringing the kids (me and my brother) into the picture only makes the situation more complex. My brother is the only grandson in the family and my grandmother dotes on him a lot. She has this habit of attributing my brother's mistake to my mother's incapability in the upbringing of my brother instead of him being mischievous. This caused my mother to be constantly on her toes and also reminding us to be in our 'perfect' behavior because every actions seems to be able to affect the 'political' situation in the house. We do advice her to not be bothered by my grandmother's nasty comments but she just could not do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LinHui: I have a similar situation to yours at home too even though mine is not as dire. At least my grandmother tries to keep her comments neutral. However, she and my dad has this tendency to talk about my mother when she is not around. They would say things that they are unhappy about. When this happens, I usually rebutt them immediately. I would question their comments. Then I would defend my mother.

    Every situation differs so this might not be a good way for your case.However, your dad could perhaps rebutt your grandmother's comments. It is not choosing her over your mother but rather defending your mother. There is no choosing of sides. Instead, such an action protects both parties. However, there is a possible backlash that your grandmother would feel offended by being challenged. This is when effective communication comes in.

    Inaction, in my opinion, is never the best action. There's always a way. Just need to find it and that could be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is a highly relevant, too often typical and yet sad situation. I'm not sure how many times I've heard of the daughter-in-law/mother-in-law conflict scenario, but it's been a lot. You describe the scenario very well, though I can feel your pain through the description. I like the fact that you are concise in the description and that you focus your question so well. I also appreciate that the perspective you'd like the reader to adopt is that of your father. Your post has generated lots of interest as well.

    Well done, Lin. My only suggestion would be for you to check your verb use in a revision.

    ReplyDelete