Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oral Presentation :)

First of all, let me just say that despite the many enjoyable late nights that I spent with Valeria, Ye Thu Win and Ranmali at the central forum and the times when I get to make fun of Ranmali (ahem.. century egg!), I am still very happy that the project is finally over!

Before the presentation, we scrutinized and edited each other's slides umpteen times. While it was time-consuming, it helped us to be familiar with, not just our own slides, but each other’s slides as well and a better idea of where our presentation was heading. I actually liked that we had to keep our slides simple because it was easier to remember that way. Also, I feel that during the presentation, the attention can be on what we had to say instead of what was shown on the slides.

Yes.. I do not like oral presentations at all (and I am sure everyone knows that) but I actually enjoyed this oral presentation. For this presentation, I was definitely less nervous and more relaxed in front of everyone than during the peer teaching. During peer teaching, I had a ‘script’ I followed closely to and I thought that contributed to my fear of forgetting what I had to say. Besides that, I was also unused to having to speak in front of a bunch of strangers. For this oral presentation, instead of memorizing a script, I remembered my points so that it felt as though I was telling my audience a ‘story’. Every time we rehearsed I was able to bring my point across differently. Perhaps I was lucky that I am talkative so talking was not a problem to me.

Overall, I think I did well with my presentation and I would not be as hesitant as before to do a presentation but I think I still have to improve more on my stage presence in future.

9 comments:

  1. LinHui!! My name is Valarie, not Valeria!

    Anyway, I thought you did really good in your oral presentation. I was indeed very impressed with how cool and collected you are during the presentation.

    But one comment, though. This is a slightly small issue, or maybe not even a problem. I noticed that you were standing behind the table during the Q&A session. Perhaps you should stand in front as the lights were off, making you seem to be standing in a rather dark corner to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you had fun making fun of my UNUSUAL tendency to eat NORMAL FOOD :P and making fun of other things you can get away with because I let you :P And btw, did you find that COSMO girl issue useful? LOL

    I thought you did a great job on the floor Lin Hui. And I'm glad you sounded a bit more enthusiastic that time, although I'm sure you could have sounded more cheerful because it's right in line with your personality (keeping your half-evil side aside).

    I had the best time working with you, thu win and ValERIA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lin Hui,

    You did well for your oral presentation although I think you could be louder. I know you have that in you! Try to bring in your bubbly personality into future presentations. I think that would personalize your presentation even more. I thought you did very well in the Q&A session. You knew your content very well and you answered the questions with little hesitation. Well done!

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lin Hui!
    Looks like we are all feeling the same way! I used not to like oral presentation as well. But I am glad that through this project, both of us begin to like oral presentation! Comparing both of your presentations which is peer teaching and this presentation, I felt that you have improved! Well done! ;)
    However,like what Geraldine has mentioned, I felt that you were a bit soft.And perharps you could stand more towards the audience so that you could engage them better! But other than that, I thought you were calm are relaxed! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lin Hui,

    I thought that this oral presentation of yours was much better than the previous peer teaching session. You were definitely more in control and more confident. You tried to maintain eye contact with the audience, which I must say was a really good job! And you put in the effort to remember your main points and not depend on a cue card, kudos to you :) However, one point to note was that you were standing a bit far back, behind the desk, during the Q&A session, maybe you could have come infront to draw closer to the audience.

    But in all, it was a great presentation!

    All the best for the exams :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA! Thanks everyone for their comments! I didn't realise that I was rather soft in the presentation. Looks like I'll have to improve more on my voice projection.

    Sorry Valarie, I must had typed your name wrongly. Ranmali! Are you taking about the Cleo magazine that you were reading when we were rehearsing? I have not read it yet:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...shhh!! tell nobody i was reading it!! and yes....yes it was cleo. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No cue cards and the good Q&A answers showed that you were confident with all the contents. (Apart from your voice diminishing), great presentation overall!

    ReplyDelete